Friday, May 11, 2012

one year

One year ago today I started a week long temp assignment to fill in for a girl who was having surgery. It was at some lineman college in town that I'd never heard of. Linemen have schools? They're the ones that climb the poles and make sure my lights are on, right? Okay. A job is a job, right? It couldn't be worse than taking hundreds of calls every day.


That week turned into two weeks. Then I left for two weeks for THE ROADTRIP and they wanted me back when I got home. Weeks turned into months. After being without consistant work for so long I was so grateful for the job. There were ups and downs. And that part where the director of my department left, but I stuck with it.


Through it all I have learned so much and I have been blessed with AMAZING coworkers and so many opportunities. I don't doubt where I stand or if I'm appreciated. This company and my coworkers constantly encourage me, praise me, celebrate my successes and let me know that they value me and they are glad I am there. They invested in me before I was even officially hired; taking me to Indianapolis and enrolling me in an Electrical Systems class.


I can honestly say that I love my job. Can it be crazy, busy and unpredictable? Of course! But I have never worked in such a positive environment, surrounded by such extraordinary people.

The power industry is never something I've though about before. I mean, besides when my lights flicker or the power goes out, I've never given it a second thought. I have a new appreciation for the industry and the men and women who are out there working hard to keep our power going. While I don't know if this is what I want to do as a career or forever, I feel so blessed.


I wrote this post about faith in God and my future right before I was called for this job. It kind of gives me chills. God prepared this path for me. I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I am so filled with gratitude and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment