Thursday, April 12, 2012

never mine

God has been teaching me a lesson this week (month/year/decade?). By the time I got home from work today I was so emotionally beaten down. So this evening I decided to go on a walk to think/pray/meditate. I couldn't seem to walk far enough to calm the stirring in my heart. As I was walking and listening to Audrey Assad her song Everything Is Yours came on. The lyrics say:

Everything is Yours
If everything is Yours
I'm letting go
No, it was never mine to hold
No, never mine

I about fell over on the sidewalk, overcome with emotion. I seem to go through these vicious cycles of realizing I need to surrender things/people/dreams to God and then it's not long before I look down and I have those things/people/dreams clenched in my fists again. I thought I learned this lessons last year.

*

These things were never supposed to be mine. At least not forever. I came to the realization that while these things are good, they are not God's BEST for me.

Do you know what that means? God has something BETTER for me, than what I had planned for myself. Wow. Now that is what I need to remember, especially when my heart is feeling broken.

*

Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
Isaiah 43:18-19

1 comment:

  1. It was a blessing to find your blog Heather! I know how hard this lesson is to learn, I am continually learning it myself.

    You have a beautiful, encouraging blog! I look forward to following it!

    ReplyDelete