Monday, April 23, 2012

Movie Monday: Les Demoiselles de Rochefort

At the end of March I stayed home sick on a Friday. I was feeling miserable and needed a distraction. I opened Netflix and did some browsing when The Young Girls of Rochefort (Les Demoiselles de Rochefore) caught my eye. A French musical from 1967? With Gene Kelly? Count me in!

Les Demoisselles de Rochefort is about twins, Delphine and Solange, who teach music and ballet. Both are longing to find their "ideal love" and a life outside their small town of Rochefort. The story is full of almosts and close calls that leave you anxious and hopeful. I think one of my favorite characters is Maxence, a sailor, painter and poet who is looking for his "true feminine ideal"; he is adorable!

I love musicals, but French musicals? It was off the charts fun! I couldn't stop giggling and by the end I had the girls' song stuck in my head, plus the clothes were fabulous. I think it might be my new favorite movie. I mean you have to love a movie that puts a smile on your face when you're feeling sick.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment