Monday, March 19, 2012

an open letter to my 4G ipod


We joked that this picture summed up the life of a single female at a Christian college.
(photo taken in 2005 months after I got my ipod)

The year was 2005 when we met. It was just after my 20th birthday. I had my eye on you for months. Everyone who knew you raved about you and how awesome you were. I just had to have you for my own.

I had worked 50 hour weeks all summer, trying to earn money for the coming school year. I was exhausted and was looking for a fun reward for myself for all my hard work. After a long day at work my sister and I headed to Best Buy on a mission. We found you in the music isle with your cohorts: the classic 4G ipod. A helpful employee unlocked the shining glass case you were sitting behind and handed you to me in your bright white box. I couldn’t wait to get you home and fill you with my favorite songs.

I remember that fall, putting in my ear buds as I left my apartment and walked across campus; I felt so cool with you in my pocket. You filled my ears with the music of Brian Fennell, Ben Kweller, Death Cab for Cutie, Jason Mraz and more; my feet kept time with the beat as I crunched leaves and walked to class with a spring in my step. I really did have a soundtrack for my life and it was beautiful.

You have been in my life for seven years. You have filled my life with music that expressed feelings and emotions I wasn’t sure how to. You let me sing along loudly to the Hairspray soundtrack as I drove around California, on my own for the first time. You distracted me with Colbie Callait when it was too difficult to process a friend’s cancer diagnosis. You have sung me to sleep, softly playing Bon Iver, when I was anxious about the future. You filled road trips to Vegas with fun sing-along songs, including Katy Perry’s ‘Waking up In Vegas’ and ‘I’ll Make a Man Out of You’ from Mulan soundtrack. You have kept me company on countless airplanes, allowing me to immerse myself in the voices of Adele and The Civil Wars.

You have always been faithful to me. Since I first got you, many newer ipods have been released, ipod nano, ipod mini, ipod shuffle, ipod touch; right after I got you the color screen was released, but I couldn’t be happier with you just as you are. Many have complained about the reliability and durability of ipods, but you remain strong, never giving me technical troubles and always happy to play a charming tune. Last year my teenage cousins asked what you were, as your younger cohorts are slimmer and sleeker and you are a bit bulky and brick-like in comparison; I was proud to claim you as my ipod.

Thank you, ipod, for filling my ears with lovely music and giving my life a beautiful soundtrack.

All my love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment