Thursday, February 2, 2012

little chef

As you might know my sister, Ashlee, and I are living with our parents right now. Instead of paying rent we clean the house and cook occasionally. A couple months ago we started getting Bountiful Baskets with fresh fruits and vegetables. Our goal was to use as many of the vegetables as possible. We did a search on Pinterest and went to work.

Our menu included the following:

Poppy Seed-Crusted Butternut Squash with Romaine and Pomegranate [Pinterest source]


Oven Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts [Pinterest source]


Crispy Baked Eggplant [Pinterest source]


Talk about using vegetables!  My mom, Ashlee and I had never had brussel sprouts before and weren't sure what to expect, but these were heavenly! All of the recipes were rather easy to make, the difficult part was timing them all out, but it came together in the end.

We made a few changes from the original recipes, like substituting romaine lettuce for kale, since that's what we had on hand.  For the eggplant recipe Ashlee created the egg mixture and dipped them straight into the panko crumbs mixture [to which she added parmesan cheese], rather than dipping them in flour.  It was delicious and one of the best meals I think I've ever cooked!

1 comment:

  1. Little chefs! haha, good times. We got brussel sprouts in our basket last time too and I'd never had them before but I think they might be my new favorite vegetable! I pan friend them and put lemon juice over them. yum!

    ReplyDelete