Tuesday, February 14, 2012

be mine

I don’t have beef with Valentine’s Day. I think it is a fine holiday. My dislike doesn't come from being single either. What drives me bonkers is singles that treat today like it’s the worst day in the world. Singles Awareness Day. Really? And singles, have you ever gotten the look of pity from a couple. It's the worst! Today doesn't make me any more or less single than I was yesterday and tomorrow I’m still going to be single.

Please don't tell me any of the following:
*I still have plenty of time to find the one.
*If I stop looking for love I’ll find it.
*You don’t understand how someone as great as me isn't married yet.

Oh and please don’t tell me Jesus can be my boyfriend. Jesus does not want to be my boyfriend. I’m done with trite and flippant statements. Being single doesn't make me feel like crap, but things like that totally do. You might as well tell me that I’m pathetic and who I am is not enough.

*

Being single does not define me. I’m a 26 year old woman. I am a daughter, sister, friend, etc. I work hard in an administrative position for a great company. I volunteer for my church’s worship team. I travel. I set big goals. I live my life. And I happen to not have a significant other. That doesn’t make me less of a person.

Being single doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with me.  I happen to think I’m a pretty neat lady. Yeah, I’m a little awkward and goofy, but I’m confident and I like myself. I don’t need anyone to save me, give me praise or tell me I’m worthy. I’m happy with my life and who I am. No joke. I’m totally serious.

*

I guess my point is that I think we should to be content WHATEVER our relationship status happens to be on facebook. 

If you’re single, GREAT! Enjoy this time! Find out who you are and what you’re passionate about. Challenge yourself to become better. Live abundantly.

If you’re dating/engaged/married, that’s great too! You have someone to make out with and cook you pancakes whenever you want. Kidding! Kind of. ;) Challenge each other to become better. Live abundantly.

Find joy where you are at in life. Single or not. Happy Valentine's Day!

*

For some extra reading, see THIS old guest post I wrote for Noelle's blog.

1 comment: