Wednesday, November 2, 2011

positivity


I will be the first to admit that I have done my fair share of complaining and whining over the course of my life. It’s all too easy and heck, I’m good at it. Life isn’t going how I planned. I was unemployed for far too long. I was thousands in credit card debt. I have tens of thousands of student loans to pay back. I don’t have a car. I don’t have a community. Granted, even those relatively minor issues can feel like the weight of the world, but after writing all that out I am ready to slap myself. Negativity is sure obnoxious!

Lately through work and life I have encountered a number of negative people. (And I’m not denying that I was one of them.) These are the people who ALWAYS find something wrong or ALWAYS play the role of the victim, but never do anything to change their situation. Things do go wrong in life and people do get hurt; that is part of life. But really, when is enough, enough? Hearing constant negativity spew out of peoples’ mouths is utterly exhausting and emotional draining. At some point, we need to stop wallowing and complaining, and just start doing something. Start with a small step. Ask for help. Say a prayer.


I’ve heard stories of people who are in much worse situations than I have ever been in, yet with a quiet strength and an incomprehensible peace, they’ve walked through the darkest valleys. I’ve been at rock bottom before (and I’ll probably wind up there again), probably not in the same way as anyone else, but I made the choice to rise above it. I’m done complaining about my circumstances. (Remind me of this when things get hard.) Complaining, whining and worrying are not going to change where you are or what you are going through. However, I believe that a little positivity, courage and prayer will go a long way to helping turn things around.

Wherever you are, whatever you are going through it’s time to throw away the victim card and become a fighter and a survivor. It is time to THRIVE and find real JOY in this life we’ve been given. Does this mean everything is going to work out perfectly and life will be a breeze? Of course not, but we ALWAYS have a CHOICE. The best part is, that whatever happens, God is ALWAYS right there beside you and God has an excellent track record. Remember, you are not alone in this.

1 comment:

  1. great, great post Heather!! I know a lot of people who probably need to hear this!

    ReplyDelete