Wednesday, November 9, 2011

on the shelf

Hey loves. I feel like I've had a difficult time writing "real" posts. By the time I get home from work my brain just seems to float away. I figured it has been awhile since I've shared my reading list, so that's what I'm going to do today.

Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
When I started the first book, all I knew is that it was popular, but I had no idea what it was about. My sister and a couple friends said that it took a chapter or so to really get into the book, which I also experienced. If you haven't read these, be warned, there is rather graphic sexual violence. Despite that, the stories Stieg Larsson told were amazing and intriguing, about a young woman named Lisbeth Salander and an investigative journalist, Mikael Blomkvist. I could hardly put these books down.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
This is another one of those books that I heard that I must read, but I didn't really know what it was about or what to expect. It definitely lived up to all the hype. This is an amazing story that I laughed and cried through. It's about African American maids working and living in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960s. I'm anxious to see the movie now!

Currently Reading:
Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist
I just started reading this last week. I previously read Shauna's book, Cold Tangerines (mentioned here, here and here) and loved her writing style. She offers so many beautiful insights about life, changes and growth. I can't wait to finish.

The Real Girl Next Door by Denise Richards
My sister read this a couple months ago and when I saw it sitting on the shelf at the library I picked it up. It's been an easy read and I'm nearly done. I always find it interesting to read about the lives of celebrities. It's easy to think everything about them and their lives is perfect, but when you get down to it, they are people too.

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
My sister, Ashlee, and my triplet, Jenny, have both read this book and since reading it, have both become vegetarians. (See my sister's post about the book here.) I'm so curious to learn more about how what you eat effects your health and your body. I previous read The Butcher and The Vegetarian and really enjoyed what Tara had to share about her take on food. (See my post here.)



1 comment: