Thursday, September 1, 2011

Commandment #6: Be Kind

It is only appropriate before I begin this commandment to give a shout out to my darling friend Amanda and the Kind Campaign. Go HERE to buy adorable bracelets that help support the Kind Campaign.

Does this commandment really need an explanation? I think so.

source

I don't know about you, but I have the capacity to be a big jerk sometimes. I lack patience with people. I don’t give people the benefit of the doubt. I put blame on everyone except myself. I can be mean and selfish. I often judge others. Ugh. I sound like such an ugly person now, don’t I? Please extend to me some grace.

That is why I need this commandment. As the saying goes, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” We are all going through trials and struggles that are not visible with the naked eye. It is so easy to make a snap judgment of someone because of how things appear, but more often than not something deeper is going on. Perhaps a struggle with finances, relationships or illness; we can't know if we are on the defense. Something I say quite often is “hurt people, hurt people.” When someone says or does something unkind toward someone else I believe it means that they are coming from a place of deep hurt and they need kindness more than us fighting back.


When I am in pain it is SO EASY to lash out at others, because HELLO! I’m hurt and that gives me a free card to be a jerk to everyone. I for one get so wrapped up in my pain and struggles that I forget the world does not revolve around me and others are hurting too. I am trying to look at people through God’s eyes and recognize that He loves them too. More often than not we can relieve some of our own pain by helping others.

Did you know that 5 good things are equal to 1 bad thing? Think about it. How many times have you been having what seems like a great day when ONE bad thing happens and totally throws you for a loop? The bad seems to always outweigh the good. So let's work on the good and positive. Let's be kind to one another. I know that my day is easily brightened by a smile or kind words or a short note. This isn't always as easy as it sounds when we are hurting, but I believe that it is important to be intentional and see outside of our own bubbles to show compassion to others.

source

So my point is: Extend grace. Give people the benefit of the doubt. We are all broken. We all have burdens. We are all struggling. We are all fighting to make it through. Let’s extend a hand of friendship to each other. Be kind.

1 comment:


  1. Hi there.)

    Oh, you ve got such a cute blog!! I love it!
    Nice post.))

    I need your help (maybe again) ...
    I spend new survey ..
    Have you watched the MTV awards prizes?
    if yes whether you agree with all the awards, or something you think was unfair?

    ReplyDelete