Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Guest Post: K. Jenny Nelson

Hello friends! Today I am pleased to welcome my "sister" to my blog. I met Jenny in college and have known her for eight years. We have been through A LOT together and I don't know how I'd survive without her. She is one of my very best friends and I love her dearly. I hope you enjoy her post. Thanks for sharing Jenny!

P.S. Say a prayer for Jenny today as she is traveling back to Savannah for three weeks to complete her Master's program!


Hey lovely readers of Heather’s blog!

I’m Jenny, Heather and Ashlee’s other twin; you might have seen me pop up on here every once in a while (I’m the one who made them drive across the country with me this Summer hehe).
Anyway Heather asked me to write a guest post for her, so I thought I’d talk about how to live a “greener” life. I am currently in the last three weeks of my master’s program at Savannah College of Art and Design; I’m getting my M.A in Sustainable Design, so sustainability is near and dear to my heart. I know it can seem daunting when you hear all the problems with our environment today and thinking what can I do to actually make a difference? But really just doing small things to start makes a huge difference, and you can tell your friends about it and they’ll start too and suddenly hundreds of people are making better changes and we’re changing the world!

I’m a poor grad student so obviously I can’t buy a new hybrid or put solar on my house (since I don’t have a house….) but I do seemingly small things that are not only healthy for the environment but for me as well!

Instead of buying new clothes all the time I’ve started buying vintage and going to thrift stores when I need some. And actually I’ve just pared back my spending on fun items all together. One of the major principles of sustainability is to not just have stuff or just buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff! And being a poor grad student who has moved three times in the past year and half has taught me this lesson well! I only buy what I need (with a few goodies thrown in every few months). It’s kinda liberating to be able to fit your entire life into your four door car!


I also try to use less plastic bottles in the body/hair care department. I started buying shampoo bars; there are great ones on Etsy or at local health food stores (if they’re all natural they’ll be fine for your hair). I even found conditioner bars on Etsy! Also I’ve started making my own castor and olive oil face cleanser so I re-use bottles constantly (see Heather’s post about that). And I make my own toner so again am re-using random bottles I had sitting around! The less packaging I have to throw away the better!


Finally over a year ago I went vegetarian not only for health but also as a way to lead a greener lifestyle. Now don’t get you’re feathers all ruffled, I don’t tell anyone how to eat or what to eat, you can eat meat if you want I honestly don’t care, it’s all a totally personal decision! But I do encourage people to eat less meat and to eat meat of better quality. Most meat in the US comes from factory farms that don’t treat animals well and don’t treat the environment well. So by consuming less you are lowering your carbon footprint and hopefully sending these bad farms a message. Also by finding local and healthfully grown meats you are supporting local farmers and a local economy and doing something good for the environment! These farms (if they’re a good one) pollute less, don’t feed their animals bad GMO foods or shoot them up with crazy meds so in turn the meat is much healthier for you (and probably tastes better too!).


Well those are just a few tips to get you started! I hope you take the first step in leading a greener life; it’s really not that scary, I promise! Thanks for reading along, have a gorgeous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment