Monday, August 8, 2011

Guest Post: Joyful Jenn

I am so pleased to welcome Jenn to my blog today. I have known Jenn and her family for nearly 15 years! I can't believe it's been that long! Jenn is one of those special people who is truly authentic and genuine; you won't meet a sweeter young woman with a heart for God. She has been through a lot in the past few years, which she will talk about, and I admire her unwavering faith so much. Thanks Jenn!



I'm Jenn ( Joyfuljenn.com ) I'm a wife, teacher, blogger, designer and dog - mom. I love Jesus with all my heart. I'm a very sensitive person, but I'm strong and genuine. I have a gentle spirit. I love to write, and find blogging to be very therapeutic, so I write about anything and everything no matter how significant or insignificant it may seem. 

I initially told Heather I was going to write about marriage, but I've had it on my heart to write about Perseverance and Endurance  instead, I promise I'll tie all three together. 
- - - - 

A little over two years ago, I exchanged vows and made a commitment to my best friend. I'm lucky to have found my best friend. When I made that commitment, and spoke my vows, I didn't know what the future would hold for us, no one does for that matter. I was optimistic in thinking that nothing bad would happen. I believed the "In sickness" part of our vows might come, but not for 20, 30, 50 years.  

The first 6 months of our marriage were bliss. After we'd been married six months and before we celebrated our second wedding anniversary, my husband had underwent 4 ankle surgeries, and was diagnosed with type one diabetes. I was in the middle of my student teaching year, and underwent sinus surgery. As I'm writing this, my husband is healing from his fourth and hopefully last ankle surgery. We are thankful how careful this doctor has been. This recovery period has been the longest of any of the previous surgeries. My husband has been on crutches for over two months now. This has left him unable to walk, drive and do many of the other things he loves to do and has left me trying to do everything he does in addition to everything I do. Type 1 Diabetes is a never ending journey (at least not yet). There is no cure and it changes Shawn's life every day (and mine). He tests his blood sugar multiple (6+) times a day and injects himself with insulin 3-4 times a day before he eats -- just to live. We changed how we eat, and made many adjustments to our lives schedules. 

All of these things are difficult, but doable. There are still days that I cry, because it's hard and I get upset. I wonder, 
"Why Us?" 
"Why Now?" 

As I'm sure you can imagine, this has put a large amount of stress on both of us. It has put stress on our marriage in every way imaginable. The other day I think God finally got through to me. 

 God never said our journey here on earth  would be easy. 
I believe at times, God WILL give us more than we can handle, but that is why we have family,  local churches and other christians out there for us to reach out to for  love and support. 
At the end of the day, WE NEED GOD. 
We cannot do it alone. 

In addition to learning that I need God and I need to learn to reach out to other people -- 
 I believe that God has been teaching me to persevere through my struggles and to endure through hard times. 

Perseverance: continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.
Perseverancesteady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

Endurance: The act, quality, or power of withstanding hardship or stress.

There have been so many times I have wanted to sit in bed and not face the day -- but I have gotten out of bed, gotten dressed and faced the day anyway.  
There have been many days that I have cried and cried, but I have pulled myself together, sought help and guidance and moved forward. I have endured the hardships and persevered with God's help. 

Shawn and I have set goals -- we talk about the future and we are moving forward each and everyday.
However, it's important to note that we are moving forward with God's help and provision.   

I believe that aside from my own situation and life that endurance and perseverance can apply to nearly every facet of everyday life for everyone. 


Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. 

Romans 5:3-4

Where can you use a little more endurance and perseverance in your life? 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for opening up and allowing us to see that life is never easy but God is so good and we all need him everyday of our lives! looking up for you sweet friend Jenn! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know very well what what long seasons of trial feel like and I think you are right on that we all need to persevere, endure and trust in the Lord. I am quite sure that God is using and will continue to use your trials and your heart for him to reach others and to encourage others! God Bless you for being real and open as I know it isn't easy! I pray that the Lord restores your husband's ankle and brings more stability to the diabetes in Jesus name!

    ReplyDelete