Monday, August 29, 2011

Commandment #4: Keep It Simple

I have a tendency to be a perfectionist. I hate making mistakes and being out of control. I love when things are in order and done correctly. (Bonus if I can color coordinate or alphabetize.) This makes life a bit difficult, because I’ve come to learn that life is often messy and never perfect. Hello, life experience!


This was an issue that I constantly dealt with in school. I would end up making projects, papers or assignments more difficult than they needed to be. I felt like the bigger, more creative or complicated, the better. This would lead to discouragement, late nights or me hitting my head against a wall. It was usually when I stepped back and looked at the bigger picture that I found the simplest and most direct ideas often produced the best results.


Don’t mistake my saying simple for easy. There is a difference. I am NOT saying to take the easy way through life to minimize the amount of work you have to do. (What you put into life is what you are going to get out of it.) Rather, be open to letting go when things don’t turn out how you think they should. Be open to releasing control. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

I will probably always be a perfectionist to some extent, but that’s why this commandment is so important. I don’t want to ever have a flippant or apathetic attitude towards life and work, but I do need simplicity in my life. Life is complicated enough without me adding to it. Less really can be more.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment