Friday, August 26, 2011

Commandment #3: Enjoy now. Enjoy the process.

I've written about this before, but it always seems to elude me. Being present. Being in the moment. If I'm not looking at the past wishing I could change it, I'm looking at the future, worrying about what is to come. What a terrible waste of life.

source

I used to rush from one exciting point in life to another thinking that those "highs" were what living was all about. Surprise to me, it turns out that everyday you make choices that affect the bigger picture of your life. (Duh, Heather.) Life isn't all about the BIG decisions or events. I am working on taking each day for what it is and looking for joy in the simple moments, whether it is dinner with a friend, acknowledgement for a job well done, snuggling with my cats or my favorite song on the radio.

source

Right now I am in a strange transition time in my life. Four years out of college. No permanent job. Living at home. No significant other. It's weird. This isn't how I saw my life. There are things I wish I could change, but when I sit back and think about things, I am pretty content. I have an excellent education. I have a wonderful temp job which will probably become permanent in the next month. I have generous parents. I have dear friends. I am confident that God is working in my life and that I am where He wants me. I'm done focusing my energy on what I should/could/would have done or what may happen. It is time that I start enjoying this time of transition and this process of growing into who I am supposed to be.

source

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog, and I have to say, I understand much of where you are in life. Thank you for being honest and sharing about your struggles with accepting where God has you in life - it is encouraging to know that I'm not the only one out here.

    ReplyDelete