Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Commandment #1: Be Heather

Being yourself is so much easier than it sounds. In a society where we praise and give attention to those who are talented or skinny or beautiful, sometimes it is hard to feel like enough. I've got to be honest, I excel at telling myself I'm not good enough, that I need to be like someone else and then I will be happy and everyone will like me. I am tired of pretending around certain people because I think that they'll think less of me if I'm real with them.


So often I find myself trying to be like someone else; trying to emulate someone who I think is better than I am. It's easy to feel terrible about yourself and think you are not enough when you listen to Satan's lies. It is important to recognize that those are in fact LIES. And FEELINGS are not a good tool for measurement.

When feelings become overwhelming I know that it is time to look at what I know to be TRUE; it is time to go back to Scripture. Truth trumps feelings. I KNOW that I am God's child and His masterpiece. Psalm 139 says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Ephesians 2 says that we are God's handiwork. All over Scripture it speaks about how much God loves us. We are His children. I may not have the same gifts and abilities as someone else, but that does not make me less.

source

I am ready to embrace myself for who I am, flaws and all, and be confident in who God created me to be. I am not done becoming who I am supposed to be. I still having growing to do and I want to continue pushing myself to be the best I can be, but it is time for me to recognize and accept that who I am is enough. It is time for authenticity.

So who am I?

I am a single, twenty-six year old woman, who loves Jesus with all her heart. I live with my parents. I don't have a permanent job. I don't have a plan for my life. I'm a bit of a hot mess and kind of goofy. I don't feel like a grown up (except for the paying bills part). I enjoy painting and singing, even though I'm not an expert at either. Nothing in life makes me happier than the relationships I have with my friends and family.

This is me.

photo by Ashlee

"God used His creative energy to make you uniquely you, don't spend all yours today trying to be like someone else." -Louie Giglio

No comments:

Post a Comment