Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August Wrap Up and September Goals

August: Money
-Read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
-Buy needful things
-Indulge in a modest splurge
-Make a donation
-Spend out (make the most of what I have)

It makes me laugh how each month of My Happiness Project so far has been exactly what I needed to work on and learn. The topics and themes seem to come up without my meaning them to. This month was no exception. I wouldn't exactly say this month was a success, but I learned a lot about myself and my spending habits.

I want to say a big thank you to my sister for annoying me to death about having to read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. Because I am in an interesting situation and have been for awhile, (unemployed/no permanent job) I didn't think that Dave's rules could actually apply to me. I think part of it was denial, but once I started reading I couldn't seem to read fast enough.

His techniques apply to EVERYONE and even if your situation is unique (as most are), Dave has great information to share. I appreciate the simplicity of his ideas. Like he said, it's not complicated, but it is difficult. Changing how you treat your money is similar to how you treat losing weight, as he talks about in his book. You know the simple things you have to do, eat right and exercise, but you have to DO those things in order to lose the weight; the same goes for money. Is changing how you treat your money going to be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.

(This will be me SOON!)


I think I should have starting reading earlier in the month. I didn't do the best I could only buying needful things. I splurged more than I should have, but I did donate to One Days Wages.

I did make the most of what I have which was great, considering I'm the girl who saves things for special occasions or rainy days. For example I have dozens of perfumes and dresses that I keep saving for some reason. This month I definitely did better actually using what I have.

Like I said before, I did learn a lot this month. I recognize that I do have a skewed perspective where money is concerned and that I need to change. I am terrible at putting off instant gratification. (Hello, beautiful fall collection of Seychelles shoes.) I have learned though that if I live like no one else now, (Goodbye, Seychelles.) that later I can live like no one else. I am ready to put what I've learned into action so that next month will be even better. I am starting to work on my budget and figure out my debt snowball. My ultimate goal is to have all my student loans paid off by the time I'm 30. I know that this will be difficult, but I am envisioning the day when I pay my very last student loan and have a six month emergency fund in place. I am ready to live like no one else.

Be sure to stay tuned for Commandment #7 when I talk more about my money issues.


My topic for September is Education and my goals are as follows.

September: Education
-Take a class (Electrical Systems through work)
-Read Unlimited by Jillian Michaels & re-read Reshaping It All by Candace Cameron Bure
-Learn a new activity (perhaps make macarons?)
-Practice guitar/Learn a song on the guitar
-Learn how to create a budget

source

No comments:

Post a Comment