Wednesday, July 20, 2011

love your skin

Okay ladies. Let’s talk skin. I will assume that most of you are like me and have dealt with acne at some point in your life. My skin has been especially terrible the past few months and I was at a loss for what to do.

Last August I broke down and bought ProActiv hoping that it would work a miracle for me, after all if it works for Jessica Simpson and Katy Perry it would work for me and then my singing career would take off. That’s how it works, right? While my skin cleared up a little, it didn’t do any more than the other cleansers I previously bought from Target.


While on our road trip Jenny mentioned that she read about the oil cleanse. My first thought was “WHAT?! Why would anyone rub oil on their face? Gross!”

What is it:
So here’s the scoop. Many of the facial care products strip away the oil from our faces so our skin tries to compensate by creating more oil and we end up in a vicious cycle without solving any problems. Oil actually dissolves oil. Don’t be afraid of applying oil to your face, it won’t cause blemishes. The concept of this cleansing method is when you massage your skin with oil it will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and is stuck in your pores. The steam will then open your pores and allow the oil to be removed.


How you do it:
So mix together castor oil (this is the base because it’s the oil that draws out the toxins and dirt in your skin) and whatever other oil you’d like, grapeseed, olive, jojoba, etc. (I personally have been using grapeseed oil.) If you have extra oily skin, (like mine has been), I recommend using more castor oil, but no more than 75%. If your skin is dry you can use as little as 25% castor oil. I started out with a 50/50 ratio of castor oil to grapeseed oil and after a few uses decided to increase the castor oil.

Mix the two oils together. I have mine in an old creamer bottle that has since been washed and had the label removed; it works especially well because it has a little spout for pouring. Pour a teaspoon-tablespoon amount in your hand and then massage it into your face for at least a minute. Then get a wash cloth wet with as hot of water as your face can stand, wring out the extra water and cover your face with the cloth until it is completely cool. Then wipe the remaining oil off your face.


I do this one or two times a day. Sometimes I will leave the oil on my face while I’m showering and allow the steam to help open up my pores. I don’t even use moisturizer any more because the oil is just enough. While I still have some breakouts, I can tell that my skin is healthier.

Thanks to Jenny’s suggestion, I also have started using apple cider vinegar as a toner. I want to get witch hazel and lavender essential oil to add to it. This mixture isn’t as harsh as the store bought toners. Now I need to find a cute little bottle to put the mixture in.

I love that I have found a natural and inexpensive way to take care of my skin. I also recently read about a honey facial that I'm dying to try.

Read about Jenny’s experience HERE.
Read more about the oil cleanse and natural toner HERE, HERE and HERE.

3 comments:

  1. I used to sell Mary Kay and I would often tell clients that even if they had oily skin then they needed to still use moisturizer for this very reason! It makes absolute sense. I've never tried actually oil though! Putting on my list of things to do. I recently bought this super cute bottle set from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60176893) and this would be a fun little mix to fill one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bottles are adorable!! They would be perfect! I wish we had an IKEA here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried this and it worked pretty well :) thanks for the tip. i love your postes are great!

    ReplyDelete