Sunday, July 31, 2011

July Wrap Up and August Goals

Does August really begin tomorrow? This month has flown by. It is ironic, I guess, how each month’s topic for my Happiness Project has been EXACTLY what I needed to work on and also very challenging. When this month started I thought it would be so easy with my topic being friends, but I found that being a friend is hard when it seems like effort is only being shown on one side.

July: Friends
-Be generous
-Show up
-Don't gossip
-Make a new friend
-Write cards to friends near and far


Most of my closest friends live in Seattle or out of state, so hanging out with them wasn’t really an option. Towards the beginning of the month my sister and I spent a Sunday afternoon and wrote about 20 cards to friends and relatives near and far. I never know what to say in cards, but I knew it was important to make an effort. It didn’t take nearly as long as I thought it would and I received so many little notes back saying how much it was appreciated.

At the beginning of the month I went to a morning brunch to celebrate/support one of my mom’s best friends, (who I refer to as aunt,) who has been through some very difficult things in the past year and a half. In the middle of the month Ashlee and I went to a friends barbecue picnic, which was fun, since we hadn’t seen him in a couple months. And yesterday we spent part of the afternoon with our cousin who we haven’t seen much and went shopping, plus we went out to the Matador for dinner.

I think this month was exactly what I needed. It reminded me that to have a friend you’ve got to be a friend. I also learned the hard lesson that just because you prioritize someone in your life doesn’t mean they prioritize you in theirs. In the end though you have to be kind of friend you want someone to be to you and let everything else just roll off your back. I am very grateful that although I may not have tons of friends, I have a few dear ones who I would do anything for and I can trust without question.

This next month will be an interesting one and a little more objective as far as my goals. My topic for August is Money and my goals are as follows.

August: Money
-Read Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
-Buy needful things
-Indulge in a modest splurge
-Make a donation
-Spend out (make the most of what I have)

source

2 comments:

  1. oohhh this happiness project sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dave Ramsey! He will change your entire outlook on money. You might be rethinking that splurge ;-)

    ReplyDelete