Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lexington

I'm feeling pretty good about blogging while on the road. We've been fortunate enough to stay at places with wi-fi, which was unexpected, but so awesome!

This morning we woke up early. Again. And were on the road by 7:00am, heading west and then going up the 71. We were about 10 minutes away from Joplin. It made me sad to be so close to such devastation and not be able to help. As we were driving I kept seeing billboards for a Precious Moments Chapel right off the 71. All the billboards crack me up with the interesting things they advertise for. I also saw a sign for a 8,800 pound loader thing called Big Mouth. What?!

Leaving Springfield.

We ended up stopping in Carthage for iced caramel mochas at McDonalds. Then I proceeded to hold mine up and wave at the giant McDonalds semi truck once we got back on the highway. I fell asleep somewhere in Missouri and when I woke up we were in Iowa. We weren't in Iowa long before we hit Nebraska. Nebraska seemed straight and flat, with not much to see. We have a pretty great playlist that has been fun to sing along with. Jenny and I performed a stirring rendition of "I Just Can't Wait to be King" before we stopped in Cathage.


We stopped in Kearney to fill up with fuel and then made our way to Lexington. We had dinner at San Pedro, a little Mexican restaurant. Tonight we are staying with my dad's cousin and her husband in Lexington. Cindy is SO sweet and I'm so glad they are letting us crash for the night. All of us are showering and going to bed early tonight. Tomorrow will be our longest day of travel, probably around 12 hours to Salt Lake City.


Well, I'm off to braid my wet hair so I don't have to get up quite as early in the morning. Goodnight from Nebraska.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's really hard to go through Joplin :(
    It sounds like you're having fun!! What are you doing, exactly?? Your last post put you in Springfield, now Lexington... tomorrow Salt Lake City? What?!
    I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about Joplin. I live in MA where the tornadoes hit this week and they aren't taking any more volunteers. You just drive through the mess completely helpless.

    That picture of you guys in the car cracks me up! I went on a road trip with two friends last year to Florida and that's exactly how our car arrangement looked! Road trips are so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete