Saturday, June 25, 2011

hope. always hope.

As soon as I woke up this morning I finished reading Working It Out by Abby Rike, which I wrote about earlier this week. I think I failed to mention that Abby was on Season 8 of The Biggest Loser, which I have also written about before.


I heard bits of Abby's story when she was on the show and was touched by it. When I saw her book out I knew that I must read it and I'm grateful I did. Abby lost her five year old daughter, two week old son and husband in a terrible car accident, nearly five years ago. Her life went from perfection to tragedy in an instant. In her book, Abby shares her caterpillar, cocoon and butterfly stages. I was blown away by her faith, courage, wisdom and strength.

source

It was convicting to look at someone else's story and examine how often I complain and worry about my own life. If Abby can emerge victoriously from such a horrific loss than I will be okay too. In the past couple years I have often felt at though I were just surviving because things have been so unclear, I've felt lost and my future so unsure. After reading Abby's story, I too want to live fully with an unwavering faith in who God is.

source

Below are some passages and quotes that I want to remember.

"Why is this time different? I like me! Sure I want others to like me, but my worth is not determined by what others think of me. I have zero fear of death, but I still choose life."
-Abby Rike written in May 2009 while on The Biggest Loser ranch

"Yet again, the circumstances in which I found myself were beyond my control, and forced to depend on God and those around me, I realized that I could not do it alone. God left me with no other option than to lean on Him at a time when I wanted to be self-sufficient and handle it on my own. I wasn't listening, so He sent His message loud and clear: No, Abby. You will not be handling it. You cannot do this on your own strength; you're going to have to depend on other people. And that does not make you weak." Abby Rike about being on the Biggest Loser ranch

source

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Nelson Mandela

"We can't control what happens in our lives, but we can control our response. How many times does life take a much different path than the one we planned for ourselves? How many times in life do we let our circumstances dictate our response? Hard times, loss, tragedy, and basic unhappiness are rampant during the course of our lives and can be used as an excuse to give up, but even in light of terrible circumstances, you can choose a positive response." Abby Rike

"Even in your darkest hour, there is always hope!" Abby Rike

source

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great book, Heather. I believe that we go through difficult times and that we feel lost in our lives so that we can learn to open to and trust in a power greater than ourselves... and yes, hope is always here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete