Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May Booklist

This has been a busy month, but luckily I’ve had plenty of reading time. If you haven’t gathered from my previous booklists this year, I love to read! (here, here, here, here)

Stuff Christians Like by Jonathon Acuff
This is a must read, whether you are Christian or not. In a collection of short essays, Jon says everything you are thinking, but don’t have the guts to say. He doesn’t sugar coat topics, but humorously shares his perspective on faith issues, from “bad stuff” to the Bible to church and love. I laughed out loud the entire time I read this and was constantly reading passages out loud to my family.


Bossypants by Tina Fey
This was another laugh out loud book. I had heard so many great things about this book before I picked it up from the library and it didn’t disappoint. Tina is an amazing and hilarious woman. Love her!


Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
With the movie out, I’ve wanted to read the book. That being said, I had no idea what it was about. Elephants? Thirsty elephants? I was pleasantly surprised. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book about circus life before. It was a fun and fast read. Also, now I want an elephant named Rosie.


Crazy Love by Francis Chan
This is a challenging and inspiring book about the crazy, abundant love of God and His desire for a deep and meaningful relationship with you.


Still Reading:

Royal Panoply by Carolly Erickson
This book contains brief portraits of the lives of the English Monarchs. Ever since the Royal Wedding and seeing The King’s Speech I’ve been so interested in the history of the English Monarchy. Also, I’ve started watching The Tudors, so trashy, but so fascinating.


Papers and Letters from Prison by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
I have wanted to read more Bonhoeffer this month (per my goals for May), but with all the other books checked out from the library I’ve wanted to get them read before they’re due, whereas I own so many Bonhoeffer books. They’ve gotten pushed to the back of my shelf. So really, I’ve only read a few pages, but he is amazing.


Reading Next:

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Leaving by Karen Kingsbury
Working it Out: A Journey of Love, Loss and Hope by Abby Rike

3 comments:

  1. Do you have a Goodreads account? I recently discovered the website and fell in love. It's a great way to keep up with all of the books you want to read and I love reading reviews by other people!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Mere Christianity is a life changer!! Loved Crazy Love, and dying to read Water for Elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahah ...blessing pats.
    i love that.

    in january i read crazy love with a friend who lives 6 hrs away. we messaged back and forth and talked over a few questions we found on a blog for the book.
    awesome!!

    ReplyDelete