Sunday, May 1, 2011

happy?

I began my Happiness Project in January after reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin in December. So here I am, four months into my own Happiness Project. Am I any happier? That is up for debate. Sometimes I think that I am no better off than when I started. I’ve had some difficult times in these four months. (See January, February, March)


Is my life easier? No. Heck no.
Do I have a clear direction? No. Not at all.

But I don’t think I can put all my happiness hopes on those factors. Back in January, I said the point of this project was to give thought to my life and try to appreciate the journey. That is what this project is about, making the most of life and celebrating the small things. Based on that, I do think I am happier. Despite the hard days (and I’ve had many), I have had some incredibly beautiful days this year. I don’t know if I would appreciate those days as much if I had not been working on this project and taking more risks.


I have talked about Shauna Niequist a couple times (here and here) in the past month and here I am bringing her up again. That woman has some insightful and touching points to make about life, living and celebrating the small moments.

“But when you realize that the story of your life could be told a thousand different ways, that you could tell it over and over as a tragedy, but you choose to call it an epic, that’s when you start to learn what celebration is. When what you see in front of you is so far outside of what you dreamed, but you have the belief, the boldness, the courage to call it beautiful instead of calling it wrong, that’s celebration.” -Shauna Niequest, "Cold Tangerines"

“It’s rebellious in a way, to choose joy, to choose to dance, to choose to love your life. It’s much easier and much more common to be miserable. But I choose to do what I can do to create hope, to celebrate life, and the act of celebrating connects me back to that life I love.” -Shauna Niequist, "Cold Tangerines"

source

No comments:

Post a Comment