Tuesday, April 26, 2011

between a rock & a hard place 4.26.03.

Eight years ago today Aron Ralston found himself trapped in Blue John Canyon in Utah. He miraculously survived six days with his right arm pinned under a massive 800 pound boulder. Aron's story is one that I think everyone must read. It is all about the triumph of the human spirit and to me, there is nothing more beautiful than that.

I saw the movie, 127 hours, first, but their is something special about his first person account. Yes, it does get graphic, as he cuts off his own arm to free himself, but please don't let that keep you from reading his book or seeing the movie. Both are quite beautiful. It was fitting that today I finished his book. I am so glad my sister encourage me to read the book and see the movie. Can you imagine being trapped from today until Sunday?

This story reminded me of my friend Trevor, who is also an avid outdoors-man. In August 2008, he fell over 100 feet while climbing and broke his back. Praise God that Trevor made an amazing recovery and is okay. Their stories remind me that even though unexpected accidents happen, God is big, powerful and mighty to save. Appreciate each day you are given.

Below are quotes from Aron's book. I hope they touch you, like they did me.


"How would I behave in a situation that caused me to summon the essence of my character? The tragedy inspired me to test myself." Aron Ralston

"When we find inspiration, we need to take action for ourselves and for our communities. Even if it means making a hard choice, or cutting out something and leaving it in your past. Saying farewell is also a bold and powerful beginning." Aron Ralston


"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is not greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." -Jon Krakauer, "Into the Wild"


"Eventually, I sickened of people, myself included, who didn’t think enough of themselves to make something of themselves-people who did only what they had to and never what they could have done. I learned from them the infected loneliness that comes at the end of every misspent day. I knew I could do better." –Mark Twight, “I Hurt, Therefore I Am”


"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant." –Horace

dum spiro, spero –Part of the official state motto of South Carolina. Literally, “While I breathe, I hope.” Or more loosely, “Where there is life, there is hope.”

"You’ve got to love the life you live, and live the life you love." –Jerry Garcia Band, “(I’m a) Roadrunner”

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    That looks like a movie/book that I definitely want to check out. Thanks for sharing! I also liked the quotes, particularly the last one about hope. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete