Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Bell Jar

Last week I wrote about reading The Catcher In The Rye. This week I wanted to read about Holden Caulfield's female counterpart, Esther Greenwood. This was probably my fourth or fifth time reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Below are some of my very favorite quotes from the book.



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them. Whenever I’m sad I’m going to die, or so nervous I can’t sleep, or in love with somebody I won’t be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: “I’ll go take a hot bath.” I meditate in the bath. The water needs to be very hot, so hot you can barely stand putting your foot in it. Then you lower yourself, inch by inch, till the water’s up to your neck…I never feel so much myself as when I’m in a hot bath."


"I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn’t make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."


"I didn’t want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full."


"The reason I hadn’t washed my clothes or my hair was because it seemed so silly…It seemed silly to wash one day when I would only have to wash again the next. It made me tired just to think of it. I wanted to do everything once and for all and be through with it."

source

2 comments:

  1. this is a cute blog, glad i found it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to read the Bell Jar. I've heard such great things about it! I think I will this summer when I get a little free time. You have a super cute blog here! I just wanted to stop by and say hi.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete