Saturday, April 30, 2011

April Wrap-Up and May Goals

April: Family
-Don’t expect praise or adoration
-Fight right
-Give proofs of love
-Plan a family night (with no electronics)
-Take my family out for dinner (at The Matador, of course!)

Is it really this time already? Yes! It is time to reflect back on my goals for the month and share new goals. April has been fairly laid back. I worked for the first couple weeks, but things have started to slow down and I’m trying to evaluate what is next for me.

This month reminded me that I am blessed to be part of this family. My family is far from perfect or normal. We are quite the weirdoes. :)

(Our family Christmas photo)

I tried to be more aware of my interactions and do things without being asked. One day I ended up doing all of my parent’s laundry. I didn’t do it hoping they’d be like, “what a great daughter we have,” but because I knew they were busy with many other things. Another night, our dinner plans didn’t work out (spinach gone bad); I assessed the situation and made grilled cheese and tomato soup, so mom wouldn’t have to worry about what to make.

Now, did I fight right? When arguments arose, no, probably not, but I tried to let things go and not provoke situations as best I could.

I didn’t personally plan a family night, but my aunt and uncle were in town for an evening so we had a nacho bar dinner at my other aunt and uncle’s house. We ate delicious nachos, drank margaritas and played a game of Hollywood Rummy. There were candy sticks (cigarettes (you’re not fooling anyone)) and lots of laughing. It was nice to unplug for an evening and just spend time together.

In the middle of the month, my mom, sister and I surprised my grandma by showing up one Sunday afternoon to spend the night with her. We played cards and watched Secretariat. I had not seen her in months and she was so surprised.

I did take my family to The Matador at the beginning of the month. We all LOVE their food! We each got a margarita and shared butternut squash quesadilla, nachos and grilled stuffed jalapenos (stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon.) It was really fun to go out with my family and talk over a delicious meal.


Afterward I talked the parents into going over to BoDo and stopping by Urban Outfitters. I bought my dream record player and three albums (Bon Iver, She & Him, and The Postal Service). It was fun talking with my dad about all his old albums. He used to be a dee jay for years and years and had quite the collection. I am so bummed that he got rid of everything while I was in college.


It’s kind of surprising how each month’s theme seems to be exactly what I need to learn about, practice or experience. I had a bit of a breakdown in the middle of the month (about work, life, etc) and I was so grateful when my mom came into my room after a major cry sesh and prayed with me. Even though our living quarters are tight and I would LOVE to have my own place, this month has reminded me how blessed I am to have the family that I do. I know that they will always be here for me, support me, encourage me and love me.

So what is in store for May? I hope to focus on faith and devote more time to my relationship with the Lord. Below are my goals for the month.

May: Faith
-Daily devotions (create a quiet time habit)
-Pray more (keep a prayer journal)
-Read some C.S. Lewis and Dietrich Bonhoeffer
-Read the gospels (from both the NIV and MSG)
-Memorize one new scripture passage a week

source

No comments:

Post a Comment