Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Shopgirl

This morning I shared that I finished reading Catcher In The Rye yesterday. Well, today I brought Shopgirl by Steve Martin and my new issues of Nylon and Vogue to keep me occupied between calls. I finished Shopgirl by the end of my lunch break and both magazines with an hour left of work. Tomorrow I need to bring more to keep me occupied between calls. I may haul in the works of Jane Austen; that would certainly keep me busy.

I was pleasantly surprised with Shopgirl. I saw the movie years ago and wasn't fond of it, but I think that reading the book gave me a greater understanding of the meaning behind it and I have more insight into the lives of Mirebelle and Ray. I may even give the movie another chance. Below are a couple excerpts that I want to share.

"He doesn't understand the subtleties of slights and pains, that it is not the big events that hurt the most but rather the smallest questionable shift in tone at the end of a spoken word that can plow most deeply into the heart."

"So now they have had the Conversation. What neither of them understands is that these conversations are meaningless. They are meaningless to the sayer and they are meaningless to the hearer. The sayer believes they are heard, and the hearer believes they are never said. Men, women, dogs, and cats. These words are never heard."

"Just remember, darling, it is pain that changes our lives."

source

2 comments:

  1. Its so funny because I was the only person I knew who read Shopgirl before the movie came out and none of you guys liked the movie and I was like what is wrong with these people?! but maybe one needs to read the book to truly appreciate the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book Shopgirl though it was a little short.

    I believe stories are so much more beautiful in my mind. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete