Friday, March 11, 2011

new day. new attitude.

So much has happened in the past couple days. I feel like I'm finally coming around to a place where discouragement can't keep me down. I shared on Wednesday my frustrations with job searching and I received some great feedback.

On Thursday morning my dad invited me to go with him to a Job Search Workshop that a church around the corner was holding. It was led by employees from the Department of Labor and despite my initial frustrations I learned quite a bit. With that and the feedback I've gotten from some of my friends and readers I'm feeling more confident in my job search.

One of the hardest parts of this was asking for help. I know that it is one of my goals for the month, but it is difficult to recognize that you can't do this on your own. Because I put my pride aside (like it was doing me a lot of good in the first place), I got some amazing tips and suggestions from friends who have been in this same situation.

So this is where I'm at:
I have contacted two temp agencies.
I signed up for LinkedIn.
I'm re-working my resume and learning how to tailor cover letters.
I'm finding out which sites to use for job searching (indeed and simplyhired) and which sites to avoid (careerbuilder and monster).
I'm searching for places to volunteer. (A guy stopped by our house last night and works with a non-profit who teach art to kids. God, was that you?)

This process is difficult and draining. It is hard not to feel like every rejection is personal; it hits your self-esteem and can make you feel worthless. How do you not feel desperate when you have no income and bills to pay? I'm learning that rejection from jobs is God protecting me and guiding me to just the right position. I am confident that God will provide for me. I only wish He would reveal His plan to me, but then again, that's what trust is for.

source

2 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Job searching is the hardest thing I've ever done. I was actually recruited out of college, but 20 years later I felt worthless while not employed. It does feel personal!!

    I just hired a 28 YO Admin Asst in Seattle for $ 54K. Maybe you need to try a bigger market?

    Be well - Lake.

    ReplyDelete