Thursday, February 3, 2011

waiting expectantly for the road to somewhere

I’ve been in a bit of a spiritual drought lately. My family and I are in the process of “church shopping” (I hate that term) to find a church community where we will be spiritually fed and can use our gifts to serve. I’ve felt so empty and stagnant. Luckily, I have been blessed and spiritually fed through family, friends and bloggers who share their struggles and lessons God has/is teaching them.


My sweet friend, Janelle, shared Psalm 119, from The Message, with me back in January. We had both been feeling confused, lost and frustrated with God’s plan for our lives. (I still am.) I had just written about what I learned from reading Wilderness Skills for Women and she commented that she just read this chapter from the book Psalms. God used us to speak to each other. He never fails to amaze me at how He works in my life. I am still thinking about these verses and wanted to share them with you. If you have some time I encourage you to read the whole chapter.


I'm feeling terrible—I couldn't feel worse!
Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?
When I told my story, you responded; train me well in your deep wisdom.
Help me understand these things inside and out so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.
My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word.
Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation.
I choose the true road to Somewhere, I post your road signs at every curve and corner.
I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me; GOD, don't let me down!
I'll run the course you lay out for me if you'll just show me how.
Psalm 119:25-32


This week I was reading Kelli’s blog post about listening to God. I realized that I often pray so generally and don’t take the time to wait and hear God’s answer. Most of my life lately seems to revolve around waiting. I’m in such a hurry to wait faster through this time in my life that I don’t slow down enough to really have a conversation with God. I throw my vague concerns at Him and rush around to wait some more, without ever stopping to hear what He has to say to me, because I don’t think I really expect Him to answer. From now on I want to slow down and speak my heart and my specific struggles to the Lord. Then I want to wait, really wait, with confidence, to hear His answer.


Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:2

3 comments:

  1. If you haven't yet watched this last Sunday's sermon from Water of Life (like I told you to lol) you need to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This verse has seriously become my prayer for the past month and whenever I start feeling confused or lost, I pull it out and read it again. And again. I truly believe that by asking, God will close those unhealthy doors and make the next step clear, even if it isn't the direction that we're expecting. Thanks for the post, love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and I see the bible you read is a great one (I have the same). I am at work and happen to open up my Bible to the exact verse Psalm 119:25-32. I will keep you and Janelle in my prayers

    ReplyDelete