Thursday, January 27, 2011

letting go

Do you ever run into the same lesson over and over again? In the past couple weeks I have repeatedly been hit with the idea of letting go. The lesson has come in different packages but it is always the same. I need to let go of the past, let go of my plans for my life, let go of what I think is best for me, let go of dreams that will never be and surrender wholeheartedly to God and His will for my life. Ouch.


I probably called was I was doing hoping, when in fact it was denial. I've been holding on so tight for so long. It is frightening to let go and dream new dreams.


In reading the Savannah series by Denise Hildreth, which I mentioned here, I read about Savannah’s own struggles with living in the past and grieving the loss of what she thought her life would be like. I want to share a quote with you from the last book, Savannah by the Sea, which I just finished.


“Life was bittersweet. I had to let go to receive…Amazing how life requires letting go to receive. But in each instance, no matter how painful, each brought me to a different place, a better place, dare I say a wonderful place. I shed tears over what I had lost, but I would always know in my knower that what I received in exchange would take me to new and better places.”


It will take time to grieve certain dreams that I had for myself and the ideas I had of what my life would look like. But I know that it is time to let go. I need to let go of the past, of dreams and of hurts and open my hands to receive what God has next for me. I’m terrified, but I know that what God has planned for my life is better than anything I could ever imagine. I am ready for new and better places. My hands are open.

source

2 comments:

  1. Good girl! I've had to learn this lesson too and it is super scary and you do have to grieve what you thought you would do, but then when you lift your head to God he'll show you where to go. And it doesn't mean your dreams are lost, it's just a different way to get to them. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Took me a few moments to catch my breath. I am having some issues and having a hard time dealing with them or letting them go. I prayed hard this morning. Real hard. Asked God to clear the mud in my heart and mind. And then I came upstairs and resumed my hunt for birthday cake and fondant. And that search brought me to you. I have to believe that God was speaking and your blog was the way He is answering my prayers! Thank you for this! Spoke DIRECTLY to my heart!! I will add you to my prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete