Friday, December 17, 2010

FREEDOM!

Let me start by sharing some BIG news with you! No I'm not engaged! I AM OFFICIALLY OUT OF CREDIT CARD DEBT! I can check number eight off my list! At the beginning of December I paid off the remaining money I owed on my credit card! This is a relief after being in credit card debt for almost two years! Now I can work on paying off student loans!

It has recently been brought to my attention that I have a spending problem....okay so maybe not so recently. You cannot be in as much credit card debt as I have been in for the past couple years and not know you have a spending problem. This is something I am not proud of. Part of why I was in debt was because I LOVE buying clothes.

Granted I was/am not nearly as crazy as Rebecca Bloomwood from Confessions of a Shopaholic. I know she is fictional, but I think she drove me nuts because I could identify with her so well. I can justify buying almost anything! It's terrible!


source

There is something so fun about wearing a NEW outfit, but I know that it is time to change my ways so I can SAVE money and move out of my parents house. I am interested in learning how to use what I have in my closet to make fashionable outfits.

One of my new, favorite bloggers is the beautiful Kendi. She began 30 for 30 Remixes to help you make what you have in your closet work for you. She recently finished her Fall 30 for 30 and explained Why She Remixes.

She said,
"Because it helps me. It helps me remember my weakness and reminds me of my strengths. It helps me save money while being thankful for what I have. It reminds me that I do have style, but style isn’t something you buy, style is something you create. It reminds me that I have enough and with a little bit of creativity I can have even more. And everyday I am able to get up and get dressed and be reminded of what I have to be thankful for. I am reminded that I have all of the resources I need, but to use them with great care. And that I can create and re-create myself each and every day."

Yesterday morning I woke up and read her blog post about Creating a Working Closet. I was immediately inspired! I began to think of how I could reorganize my closet in a way where I could better see what I have so I can utilize my closet.

To start I went through and started pulling out clothes to get rid of; stuff that I said I'd wear after the last time I cleaned out my closet and still haven't. Then I organized by clothing item (ex. tank tops, tshirts, long sleeves, sweaters, button ups, cardigans, dresses, jackets). I was BRUTAL! It felt so liberating to box up clothes, shoes and bags to donate to our local Youth Ranch. Read Kendi's write up for more tips and ideas.

I'm thinking about selling a few of the items that didn't make my closet's cut. Would you be interested in seeing them? I have some shoes, tops, skirts and even a Halloween costume.

Let me know what you think!



















1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I love that the bridesmaid dress from my wedding made the cut!

    ReplyDelete