Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sabbath Year

I started going to Bible Study Fellowship at the beginning of January.  I guess you could call it a New Year’s resolution.  At first I was really unsure if it was something I wanted to do, but God continues to reveal Himself to me and show that this is exactly where I need to be.  I began during the middle of the Life of Moses study, as they were wrapping up studying Leviticus.  At first I was like, “Seriously?! Who studies Leviticus?!!”  Honestly, there is so much great stuff in there!  God did know what He was doing when He included it.  

I learned about the Sabbath year in Leviticus 25:1-7.  Every seven years the Israelites were to observe a Sabbath year for the land.  For the six years prior they were to sow their fields, prune their vineyards and gather their crops, but during the seventh year they were to rest.  This not only was to give the land rest, but also the people. 

My guess is that the Israelites had one of two thoughts about the Sabbath year in the new land.  Doubt:  “How can we survive a year with no work?”  “How will we spend our time?”  Trust:  “God has provided for us in the past; He will provide again.”  The purpose of a Sabbath year for the land and the people was not only a time of rest and renewal, but also a test of faith.  The Israelites had no need to worry, because our God is faithful and does provide.  Trusting and obeying God in seemingly impossible situations increases faith and proves God is trustworthy.

Maybe this is my Sabbath year.  Not one without work, but a Sabbath year in that I have to fully rely on God to provide for me and learn to rest in Him.  I have, in a sense gathered my crops, through getting my Bachelors and DCE Certificate and doing what I can to prepare myself for ministry.  Now I need to rest in God and trust that God will provide for my future.  I do not know what my future holds, but I know who holds my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment