Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Life Lessons

As I was driving to Brea in the not fun traffic yesterday, listening to my drive time mix, John Mayer's song Stop This Train came on and it got me thinking.

No, I'm not colorblind
I know the world is black and white
Try to keep an open mind
But I just can't sleep on this tonight

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

Don't know how else to say it
Don't want to see my parents go
One generation's length away
From fighting life out on my own

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say that life has just begun

Had a talk with my old man
Said "help me understand"
He said "turn sixty-eight
You renegotiate"

"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train"

Once in awhile, when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
Till you cry when you're driving away in the dark
Singing

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can
Cause now I see I'll never stop this train


I feel like lately life has been moving faster than I can keep up with and I am barely hanging on. So much has happened this past year: graduation, traveling, moving to a new city and school, making new friends, painful personal/spiritual/emotional growth, sickness, heartache and reconnecting with old friends. All those things were beyond anything I could have imagined happening and I can see how God has used all those things to work in my life.

The bottom line is that this train of life is going to continue to go at full speed and there is nothing I can do to stop it or begin again. As much as I would like to un-do or re-do different parts of my life-had I not experienced them, lessons would not have been learned and I would not be where I am today. This is life, whether I like it or not it is here and now. So often I have the mind set that my life will begin when (fill in the blank) happens, but here I am close to 23 years old. This is it and I want to appreciate each delicate moment of it before it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment